Garlic Scape Pesto & Pasta
6-7 Garlic Scapes, chopped
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1/3 cup Basil leaves, chopped
8 ounces Angel Hair pasta, prepared
- Combine Garlic Scapes and Olive Oil in food processor.
- Blend in the Parmesan Cheese and Basil.
- Pour over Angel Hair pasta.
- Optionally, garnish with toasted pine nuts, olives, and fresh tomatoes.
- Don't forget the fresh breads from the Holbrook Farm bakery!
2 tablespoons olive oil (or 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter)
4 cloves fresh garlic; peeled and chopped
1 medium onion chopped
1 bunch mustard greens (or 1 bunch kale), cleaned, de-stemmed, and torn into pieces (about 1 pound)
1 bunch Swiss chard -cleaned, stems removed and chopped, and leaves torn into pieces
1/4 cup water or chicken broth
- Sauté garlic and onions until golden brown.
- Add wet greens and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until wilted.
- Add water or chicken broth. Cover and continue cooking for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Can be served alone or tossed with pasta.
Dilly Cucumber Soup
Serves 4 to 6
4 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, chopped
4 small white onions or scallions, chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped
1 cup water
3/4 cup plain yogurt
- Sauté cucumbers and onions in olive oil until tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine with dill and water in blender and puree.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Combine with yogurt.
- Chill for one hour or more.
- Just before serving, garnish with additional fresh dill, scallions and/or yogurt.
Tomato and Feta Salad
Serves 3 to 4
1 medium cucumber, chopped (2 cups)
1 large bell pepper (green or red), sliced thin (1 cup)
1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
2 medium tomatoes, cut into chunks (1 1/2 cups)
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 ounces)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Dash salt, pepper
- Toss salad ingredients together in large bowl.
- Place dressing ingredients in a closed container and shake well.
- Pour dressing over salad ingredients and serve.
Watchtide’s Lemon/Blueberry Zucchini Bread
A favorite of our guests! Freezes well.
2 cups Sugar (or less)
1 cup canola oil
3 1/2 cups flour, unbleached & unsifted
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
4 teaspoons baking powder
Juice of 1 Lemon
Zest of 1 Lemon, chopped
2 cups grated unpared Zucchini, slightly drained
1 cup (plus) frozen Maine Wild Blueberries
- Grease and flour two 5" by 9" loaf pans
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Beat the eggs
- Add the sugar and beat until well mixed
- Add vegetable oil and beat
- Add lemon juice, zucchini and lemon zest
- Mix well
- Mix together the flour, salt, soda, baking powder
- Add to the zucchini mixture, mix well
- Add the blueberries
- Pour into loaf pans
- Bake approximately 55 minutes or until done
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes before removing from pans
I often add chopped pecans or walnuts, or I'll use dried cranberries in place of the blueberries, and orange juice and zest in place of the lemon. You could also omit the lemon juice and zest, nuts and blueberries - and in place add cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice and at least a cup of chocolate chips - and it comes out just grand.